Problems with downloading files whose names have non-ANSI characters
|Reported by:||grzegorj||Owned by:|
|Component version:||Operating system type:||Windows|
|Operating system version:||XP SP3 PL|
I have been downloading music module files from ftp.modland.com. Some of the files there have non-standard names and may be really good for testing. Here are my observations:
- FileZilla sometimes can download files with national characters, and sometimes it cannot. I am not sure why the bug is not always reproducible but it seems to depend on the fact if the file is downloaded as the first one, or not. FileZilla seems to set itself to the codepage - but if the codepage is already set, there is no way to download a file except when after restarting the program. Examples: /pub/modules/Fasttracker 2/Walkah/tehdastyöläinen.xm Note ä, ö letters in the name of the file. I would expect that FileZilla behaviour would be more stable or possible to be set manually.
- Such files are sometimes downloaded with correct names, and sometimes not. For example: /pub/modules/Ad Lib/AdLib Tracker 2/Nula/gummi björnarna.a2m or gummi bjĂ¶rnarna.a2m . I have tried downloading them twice, and I have two versions now.
- Yet more serious problems have been spotted with ANSI-named files in non-ANSI named folders. Example: /pub/modules/Fasttracker 2/Roger Skagerström/time files away.xm (note "o umlaut")or /pub/modules/Maniacs Of Noise Old/Johannes Bjerregård/tusker title.xm (note "a ring" that is not even prestnt in Windows 1250 codepage used on my OS in its native version). Such a file is listed as unsuccessful transfer, or the file can be downloaded with no contents (i.e. it is 0 bytes long on my computer). Files like those are not listed as errors, so the only way to find them is to check your disk manually, searching for zero-length files.
- Sometimes the FileZilla behaviour is even destructive. I can download the file like in point 2 manually (e.g. with a browser) and place it in the right place in the folder tree on my disk. When I run FileZilla and set it to download only files that differs in length or are newer, then it replace the correct file with a new version of 0 bytes length. In other words, FileZilla works destructively - destroys good files with bad ones. It seems that FileZilla tries to download such files even if they are neither newer nor with different size - and because the downloaded file is 0 bytes long, the program treats it as a different length.
- FileZilla is completely helpless with files whose names start from a dot. Examples: "/pub/modules/Fasttracker 2/Walkah/. s e.xm" or even mor bizarre: "/pub/modules/Fasttracker 2/Cosmic Eclipse/. . . - - - . . .xm" - it is good that FileZilla can see this file at all (ex. Mozilla Firefox cannot see them), but it is bad that FileZilla cannot download them under any conditions. To tell the truth, I have no program that would do it. All I can to obtain such strange-named-files is to use mirrors like http://ftp.amigascne.org/cgi-bin/search_archive.cgi - but I would like to download them with FileZilla.