Opened 12 years ago
Closed 8 years ago
#7399 closed Bug report (fixed)
configuration files in linux are not located according to the freedesktop guidelines
|Reported by:||Jonas Nyrén||Owned by:|
|Component version:||Operating system type:||Linux|
|Operating system version:|
Description (last modified by )
Configuration files should be in $HOME/.config/package/ as per the freedesktop guidelines:
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME defines the base directory relative to which user specific configuration files should be stored. If $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is either not set or empty, a default equal to $HOME/.config should be used.
See here: http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html for more details.
I think this is a fairly easy task to do, and if everybody followed these guidelines we could maybe finally get rid of all these .dirs in the home directory.
Change History (5)
comment:1 by , 11 years ago
|Component:||FileZilla Client → Unknown|
comment:2 by , 10 years ago
According to XDG Base directory specification:
User data should go into $XDG_DATA_HOME (which default to ~/.local/share),
user preferences should go into $XDG_CONFIG_HOME (which default to ~/.config)
and cached data should go to $XDG_CACHE_HOME (which default to ~/.cache).
More details at :
Full specification can be found at:
The Freedesktop.org XDG base directory specification have good de facto adoption.
It has been adopted by:
- GNOME ( https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/XDGConfigFolders )
- GTK+ ( https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=646631 )
- KDE ( http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/XDG_Filesystem_Hierarchy#Freedesktop.org_and_Standard_Directories )
- QT ( http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/library/html/qt4/qsettings.html#setPath )
- XFCE ( http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/advanced in Files and Environment Variables )
- VLC ( https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1267 )
- GStreamer ( https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=518597 )
- Chrome ( http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=16976 )
- many more upstream applications
- Ubuntu ( http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/6557/ & http://packages.ubuntu.com/fr/source/precise/libxdg-basedir )
- Debian ( http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libxdg-basedir1 )
- Red Hat
- many more distributions
I think that Filezilla should use same locations than the vast majority of Desktop environment and applications.
There are real advantages of following this specification :
- a lot less cluttered $HOME
- Make backups a lot more safer and easier. Backuping your $XDG_DATA_HOME along with your files is enough (or just excluding $XDG_CACHE_HOME)
- A lot easier to reset a default configuration if you want/need it (and without any risk to loose informations). Even for the software itself could choose to reset $XDG_CONFIG_HOME if needed.
- Avoid some strange bugs that happens because you had a old version of some configuration file
- A lot more of flexibility and portability because no path are hardcoded.
comment:3 by , 10 years ago
|Component:||Unknown → FileZilla Client|
comment:4 by , 10 years ago
For a related issue, see #7322.
comment:5 by , 8 years ago
|Status:||new → closed|
Since FileZilla 3.8.1-rc1, XDG_CONFIG_HOME is honored.
What is planned about FreeDesktop XDG basedir specification for filezilla?