Opened 11 years ago

Last modified 11 years ago

#3524 closed Bug report

.xml file problem

Reported by: wink0r Owned by: Alexander Schuch
Priority: normal Component: FileZilla Client
Keywords: Cc: wink0r, Alexander Schuch, Tim Kosse
Component version: Operating system type:
Operating system version:

Description

I use a media player that uses an .xml file for the playlist. I tried uploading three instances of the player to some webspace last evening. None of the three would work. I have another instance of the player on the space that I had uploaded probably with a 2.xx version of FileZilla. I finally traced the problem down to the playlist which is an .xml file. When I was reasonably certain that the problem was with the .xml file I got FireFTP and uploaded my playlists with that program. The players all work with playlists uploaded with FireFTP. I have two computers and I tried with both computers. To check I uploaded the files using FileZilla 3.0.10. All the players broke again. Reuploading the files with FireFTP fixed the players again.

My Computers both run Windows XP Home OS. They are Core 2 Duo computers with 2GB of ram. I had version 3.0.5 running when I first encountered the problem. I checked for updates and updated to 3.0.10. I have attached one of the .xml files. I did not download one of the broken ones to compare.

Attachments (3)

default.xml (5.5 KB) - added by wink0r 11 years ago.
One of the playlists
default.2.xml (5.5 KB) - added by wink0r 11 years ago.
broken .xml file downloaded from server
xmlcomplaint.jpg (19.2 KB) - added by wink0r 11 years ago.
cut of IE screen shot

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (7)

Changed 11 years ago by wink0r

Attachment: default.xml added

One of the playlists

comment:1 Changed 11 years ago by Alexander Schuch

Can you try to upload the file again using binary mode? Maybe it helps?

And can you please attach a downloaded version of the file as well? This way it is possible to have a first impression of what actually might went wrong by comparing the two files.

Changed 11 years ago by wink0r

Attachment: default.2.xml added

broken .xml file downloaded from server

comment:2 Changed 11 years ago by wink0r

Transfering as binary does work. FileZilla was set to the default 'auto detect' on the failed attempts. I uploaded the file using default settings and checked to be sure that the media player did not work (it did not). I then downloaded the file from the server and re-uploaded using the binary setting. On checking the media player after the upload as binary it was functioning properly.

I am a hobbist web publisher, not an IT person. I did not have to change settings with the 2.xx version of FileZilla. If there is any further information that I can supply I will be happy to comply.
File Added: default.xml

comment:3 Changed 11 years ago by Tim Kosse

If your program distinguishes between different line ending styles in XML documents, it is broken.

The XML specifications have this to say: http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/#sec-line-ends

Changed 11 years ago by wink0r

Attachment: xmlcomplaint.jpg added

cut of IE screen shot

comment:4 Changed 11 years ago by wink0r

The downloaded broken file will not open in Internet Explorer, indicating that IE is broken in the same way as the media player. I am attaching a cut of the screen shot of IE's complaint. The file opened in notepad shows two squares at the end of each line. Opened in WordPad there is the one rectangle at the end of each line, as is shown in the IE screen shot. I do not know enough about character encoding to know what that means. I do not recall having a problem with this with FileZilla 2.xx and FireFTP did accomplish the upload with default settings.
File Added: xmlcomplaint.jpg

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.