Target file deleted/modified/damaged after long overwrite dialog inactivity
|Reported by:||bugsymal1||Owned by:|
|Keywords:||target file partially overwritten through incomplete overwrite operation||Cc:|
|Component version:||3.48.1||Operating system type:||Windows|
|Operating system version:||7 64-bit / Intel i7|
I needed to update the index.html file to reflect new information. I dragged the new version from local site to remote site.
I got the "Target file already exists" dialog, which is set to overwrite. I did not click OK yet, because I was waiting on confirmation regarding the updated information. Target file size was similar to that of source file, since little information was added.
I left the computer for just under 30 minutes with the overwrite dialog still on screen (this was an accident). The connection was active when I left the computer.
When I returned, the dialog was still there and the connection was no longer active.
However, I noticed that the actual website was blank (tested on a couple of devices and confirmed by third party).
I cancelled the dialog that was still on screen and again I dragged index.html from local to remote.
Server reconnected and the overwrite dialog appeared once again.
This time, the target file that was going to be overwritten (index.html) showed up as having a 0 byte size. This is consistent with the blank website I encountered through the browser. I OK that dialog and now the new and updated index is live, no problem.
Unfortunately, I was not able to reproduce this error myself, nor do I have the logs-because the client was set to not save them by default I believe, and I exited the program before deciding to submit a report.
Still I thought this might warrant some looking into.
I did try searching for this bug but did not find it. It was a hard bug to search for, language-wise.